Monday, September 5, 2005

Bored on Labor Day, so i do what I have often done when terminally bored - I read the YDN. Please help me. Couple thoughts:

Not a good reflection on an incumbent board when, in an article about a woman trying to challenge Joyce Chen in the general election, they claim that "Of the city's 30 aldermen, all are Democrats except Arlene DePino, a Republican." Unless Joyce's expulsion from the Green Party has led her to join the folks who tried to oust her last time around, (and the BOA website still lists her as a Green,) this statement seems incorrect. Correct me if i've missed something.

And, uh, "quid pro quo" politics? Yeah, we used to bribe Healey with donuts and assault rifles. And strippers. Baby panda strippers. With magical and shiny nipple-tassels. You really have a handle on the way the UOC works. Don't tell anyone though.

EDIT: I'm wrong on the Board of aldermen stuff, which isn't particularly surprising given my track record blogging on New Haven electoral politics. (I point you all to the disclaimer at the bottom of this page) but there is one more comment i would like to make.

8 comments:

  1. Joyce filed change of party papers in May and is now a Democrat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. What's the person running against her like, do we want her to win, and does she have any chance of doing so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed feelings about Joyce's opponent, Gina Calder. She also declared her opposition to domestic partnerships, which, while now a moot point in Connecticut, was enough for us (the unions) to officially have no position on the Ward 2 race. She's actually just sent out a flyer attacking Joyce Chen's meeting attendance. Frankly at this point I'm so disgusted by Joyce that I'm voting against her regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: by "unions" I actually mean just GESO. I don't know what any of the others are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized i forgot to deltete the part of my edit about the one more comment i wanted to make, which I later decided i really shouldn't make. I still have nightmares about watching Joyce Chen at the Domestic Partnership hearing. But t5hen i think about Nancy Ahern and Lindy Gold and Hazelann Woodall and Mae Ola Riddick and Avila how none of them are alderpeople anymore. And all that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...it's really kind of amazing how Domestic Partnership became a political litmus test in New Haven, to the point that people who weren't here when it was debated still think of it as a critical issue, and a critical vote. It's hard for me to see the unions backing Jorge for Board President so strongly when he's still so anti-gay...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm really gald that you read the YDN and link to interesting articles, so I don't have to read it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enh, I should just rely on google alerts. That would probably be a lot healthier.

    ReplyDelete