Friday, September 2, 2005

commodities will save you

Alright. Who stole my copy of Soul By Soul?

I bought a black messenger bag. It makes me look very hip circa eight years ago. But it feels less ridiculous than my backpack, which makes me feel like I'm in high school whenever I wear it.

I bought my books for the core seminar. Luckily I already owned many of the coursebooks, like Harry Braverman's Labor and Monopoly Capital, Lisa Lowe's Immigrant Acts, David Harvey's The Condition of Postmodernity, and Hazel V. Carby's Reconstructing Womanhood, so I didn't have to pay too much for the others. I haven't yet read the Harvey book or Reconstructing Womanhood. I'm ashamed to admit this. Both are supposed to be pretty fantastic. And i took two classes with Hazel and worked for her from April through July of this year. Bookstore didn't have Foucault's Abnormal, but I just saw it at St. Mark's books a couple days ago, so I can get it there. Other coursebooks looked interesting, except for Weber's The Protestant Ethic and The Spirit of Capitalism, which i hope we'll be ripping to shreds.

No comments:

Post a Comment