Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Had the Yudice class last night. Three hours is a long time for a class - longer than anyof my classes in college, even the grad seminars, except for the Agrarian Studies seminar which was about that long. The syllabus looks interesting, though i'm nervous about some of the developmentalist politics. Basically it's going to make me work harder than even the very large amount of reading will. Interestingly, we didn't have to buy any books - they burned everything onto a CD which they sold us for five bucks. Granted, if i want to read stuff not on a monitor, which would be a good idea, I'll have to print it out, but supposedly there are somre free places to print on campus a la the Yale Law Library, if you're surreptitious, that is. Lots of Steve Sterns and Florencia Mallon and John Beverly and people writing from the US Academy in general. Kind of wish we could read some Enrique Dussel. I don't think Garcia Canclini is on the syllabus. (Beatriz Sarlo is, albeit as recommended reading. I read most of that book in Michael Denning's class three years ago, but didn't finish it, and feel like reading it again would be a productive enterprise.) I probably should have waited a week to bring up Mignolo's attack on US Latin-Americanists's expropriation of chunks of the Subaltern Studies project from academics in the South Asian diaspora writing about South Asia, but I think the answer Yudice gave was helpful for me in terms of figuring out where the class was heading.

Oh, forgot to mention: It's a seminar. With 38 people. That's two times 19, which would be a large seminar in itself. Should be interesting.

I still feel like an undergraduate. I think this is because I have no idea what i'm doing most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment