Went to an organizing committee meeting, sat next to none other than Brenda, who i'm really glad is here for this fight. I took on some organizing commitments even though i still need to be organized on stuff - not that i disagree with anything the union's doing, but i need help figuring out how to articulate what's at stake in this for both me and the folks i'm talking to and to figure out how to approach this from a place that isn't just rage and indignation, both of which can sometimes be productive organizing tools but i think i need to have been here a little longer before i start advocating full scale rio--- err, fracasizing. At the moment, what i would like to do is locate John Sexton when he gets back from Renquist's funeral and tell him that I've seen what happens to "collegiality" at universities that try to crush graduate student unions, and that he doesn't want that and he has an opportunity here to be a real leader and make history by standing up to rather than collaboratiung with one of the many egregiously horrific acts committed by the neoconservative anti-worker capitalist elite over the last five years.
Organzing is still a little scary right now. I need to find my footing here a bit, but i also know what I need to do and plan on doing it.
Why is organizing scary?
ReplyDeletecause it's been a while.
ReplyDelete