Thursday, September 15, 2005

too much mule, not enough variations

Tom Waits is suing General Motors for ripping him off by hiring someone to sound exactly like him after he refused to do an advertisement for them.

Waits is seeking damages and any profits derived from the ads
for violating his personality rights, Schumacher said.


"Apparently the highest compliment our culture grants artists nowadays
is to be in an ad -- ideally naked and purring on the hood of a new car. I have
adamantly and repeatedly refused this dubious honor," Waits said in a statement.
"While the court can't make me active in radio, I am asking it to make me
radioactive to advertisers."


There's a hinted masculinism here I find troubling, this stress on the feminized position of the artist as sexualized commodity, but iut's the nakedness, the prostration that's problematic for Waits -- and the notion of personality rights might preclude my whole "Richard Levin major league cardboard cutout" plot, plus, what's good for GM is good for, um, corporate plutocrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment