First the bad news - i have read a total of three more pages of Weber all day than i had when i woke up, which is not going to get me very far. Then the good news - I had a really good day -- lunch with a friend from high school who's now an undergraduate at the university by way of a few years in Tibet and Nepal, and then dinner with BC, which renewed and increased my excitement about this fight and all the stuff that needs to get done between now and whenever we win. A year and a half ago, a certain former graduate student union lead whose intials both start with the letter W told me that I had to go to grad school somewhere were there was an organizing drive going on ("or i'd have to start one," I pointed out.) As it turns out, I wound up going to a school which already had a recognized bargaining unit, but now nevertheless finds itself in an incredibly important fight over the future of transient teacher unionization at private universities. This is a fight we need to win, not only because the Sextons and Levins of the world don't want us to, but because we need to radically reimagine and reinvent the university - not only its governance, its actions, and its heirarchies of labor and power, but also its relationship to the communities in which it is situated and the kinds of knowledge it produces and for whom it produces them.
hydrarchy (11:53:55 PM): see, i'm a total panda
Frans626 (11:54:41 PM): oh i get it blacka nd white clothes-- you ARE a little nuts
hydrarchy (11:54:57 PM): I'm NOT NUTS
hydrarchy (11:55:05 PM): I'M a f***ing panda
hydrarchy (11:55:17 PM): don't stand in the way fo my self-actualization as a panda!
Frans626 (11:55:21 PM): oh dear --get the nexium hurry!!
Frans626 (11:55:40 PM): i'm a good jewish mother who wants you to be whatever you want -- so panda -away
hydrarchy (11:56:05 PM): woohoo
hydrarchy (11:56:09 PM): i will be a jewish panda
Frans626 (11:56:37 PM): great mazel tov!
hydrarchy (11:56:52 PM): l'Panda tovah
hydrarchy (11:57:05 PM): or l'shana panda, i mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment