A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Thursday, May 6, 2004
I hate Friends. The show's dialogue isn't funny. This is largely because it is based on supposedly acerbic observations about the mannerisms of fictional characters we're supposed to know and love. Unfortunately the characters are so one dimensional and moronic that the jokes wind up just being sad instead. The actors are all obnoxious millionaires. If I can recognize Seinfeld's new york, no matter how little it resembles The New York in which I grew up, the New York in which the cast of Friends cavort is not only unrecognizable to me, but, more to the point, is nothing like any New York. Were I in a less irate mood at the moment, I might ask and attempt to answer seriously why the sitcom in the era of must-see TV now, the media tells us, coming to a close has been able to represent the postmodern metropole only through the eyes of white professionals who live in the racialized and gentrified upscale neighborhoods of Sassen's Global cities (Fraser's Seattle, i would argue, among them). People of color in these shows are present as domestic workers (Will & Grace) or curiosities (Seinfeld) if at all, but their presences and absences are central to defining the regime of who can speak and the field of vision crucial to the genre. Alright. That's it. I hate the fucking show so much i don't even want to wrote any more about it. It just sucks. And its a total cash cow for a bunch of already very wealthy people who have no talent and ought to go back to cameos in springsteen videos except i would hurl and throw things at the TV if i saw them. Ok, ANiston was good in Office Space and tolerable in Bruce Almighty at i think i remember liking Whole Nine Yards, but come on, these people have no talent. Ok, that's it. No mas. Finito.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment