David Dellinger, 1916-2004
Jacob notes the passing of David Dellinger and points to Ron Jacobs's piece at Counterpunch
I met Dellinger almost exactly three years ago, when he came to a Yale reunion (he was class of 1936). It was about the time I was (to quote a friend) "collecting old leftists." (Moe Foner, also now dead, was among my collection also. Surprisingly, the original member of my collection, my own grandfather, seems to be longest surviving. Note that the term is "old leftists" as in aged, not Old Left, although to some extent they go together.) As I just wrote to his wife, Dellinger was inspiring, approachable, and supportive of Alumni for a Better Yale, which I was then founding. Dellinger has inspired many generations of Yale activists, and I suspect his memory will inspire several more.
Lest we forget, Dellinger's first arrest came at a Yale union protest in the 1930s.
No comments:
Post a Comment