With the exception ofthe stuff clearly engineered as kitsch before it was even released (Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, etc) the 1990s don't seem to be a very kitschy decade. Perhaps this is why VH1 has seen fit to distort its historical narrative by inexplicably placing "Where's Waldo" in 1993.
A little background. To paraphrase Sam Jackson's Jules in Pulp Fiction, I was the waldo fucking master. I found waldo. I found all the scrolls. I found all the sadistic funny shit. And i could do it again today. Problem is, i did this all the year i moved to New York from Pennsylvania. That was 1989. I don't believe that there were any Waldo books published after 1990 or so. So why periodize them as part of the '93 moment? Because you can't find anything funny to say about Onyx's Bacdafucup, ATCQ's Midnight Marauders, or Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville?
God, i am such a dork.
Somebody hire me!
No comments:
Post a Comment