Saturday, July 31, 2004

recommended if you like live shows

The RIYL show was fantastic. I give Chris Maher (of Morningsides fame) mad props for starting a record label - and one with such amazing bands. I'd heard two of the Morningsides' songs on the internet about two years ago - "Summer Song" and "A Molehill is a Mound" - but i hadn't seen Chris join Sam Grossman and John Dydo on stage since the dissolution of Shamus McNasty, so seeing them play together was sort of a revelation. Sam remains a fantastic songwriter, both in the pop-rock of the morningsides and the more recent collaboration with Simon Beins and John that is the Wowz. I'd heard a few of the Morningsides tracks online several years ago, but they played one unrecorded track which was terriffic. The Wowz' final song, "Groups With Guitars Are On The Way Out," was amazing. Folks should pick up the "Morningsides ''7 Single and the Wowz' upcoming CD Nicotine Bubblegum, the latter of which i will prbably be posting a review of in the near future. The other bands that played were all impressive - particulalrly Daggerhearts, whose innovative melodies were compelling and addictive, and The Fugue, although I wish they'd let Ben get off the drum kit (where he did a great job) and grab a guitar. Andrew (who i hadn't seen in like four years - not since Youngerman made us stop outside S-'s party none of us were invited to) and Alex said that Automato's in the process of writing new material. I'm excited to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment