I just watched "When Harry Met Sally" on the television. Amidst the heartbreak of my melodramatic post-girlfriend melancholia in high school, and all those New Yearsses without the kiss-commodity, i remember finding that movie touching. Now it strikes me as profoundly cynical, which, i suppose, is basically Nora Ephron's modus operandi. I don't know what Ephron looks like. For some reason i always imagine her as the twin of former SNL comedienne Nora Dunn. Oh wait, it's cause they're both named Nora. I have never faked an orgasm. Nor do i necessarily think i woudl have ordered what she did. Soemone found my old blog bu searching for Erin Scharff, which is a little weird. Hope it wasn't a stalker. The search for "Hazel Carby and Michael Denning" strikes me as even weirder though, unless it was their son or something. I mean, who would search for them together unless you were trying to discover the minutiae of their personal life online?
Is love a patriarchical construction of desire and power and need written on womens' bodies and psyches or is there something more to it beyond even the horrible silences which Ephron and Reiner's sappy sentimentalism masks. And why the fuck do i like romantic comedies so much? Particularly ones with John Cusack in them? Two Cusacks? Even better!
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment