Saturday, July 24, 2004

I'm amused by josh's post about my repudiation of Nader's rightward turn, but i really was never in Nader's camp to begin with.  I was then and remain a skeptic about the ability of Nader to actually organize movements capable of countering corporate power.  Nader's "progress" is no less bourgeois than Kerry's, and i voted for him in 2000 not because i belived his agenda was really in sync with the post-seattle social movements for global justice, but because he wasn't Al Gore, he wasn't espousing murderous sanctions on the iraqi people or supporting state terror to police the Rogue States of the Global South.  Nader's rightward shift, his overtures to Buchanan's anti-immigrant racists and to the populist right make his candidacy one which i will never support.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't mean to suggest you were in his camp. I know that distinction is reserved for Michael Denning, Hazel Carby, and Dorothy Healey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget the Federation of Hospital and University Employees

    ReplyDelete