Tuesday, July 27, 2004

The vernacular usage of the term "nostalgia" doesn't really do justice to the root meaning of the word.  Nostos is a return, whereas "algia" refers to a pain (hence the english word analgesic as a synonym for a painkiller.)   The current english usage of the word, i contend, fails to incorporate this "pain of returning," of remembering, the implied violence of desiring a return to that which has vanished and cannot truly be revisited.  I tend to be a nostalgic person, particularly during extended fits of inactivity such as that which i have essentially been guilty of for the last several months (job interview today went ok, i think) and this nostalgia is always painful. 

 

(Note that this nostalgia is personal, pertaining to interconnectedness and relationships rather than institutions - i don't miss college, or high school at all, and feel no pain in returning to ponder the politics of such affiliations, though i try not to do so.  Though i am frustrated by the atomization of the past few months, the pain of nostos for me is sort of a reluctant acknowledgement of interpersonal entropy.)

 

I didn't make it up to Kim's today, because of the interview and then Anchorman and then it was raining like N-Dobbity was gonna get a call on his cell from the big guy tellin him to call up Lee Perry and start rebuilding Black Ark.  (Ok, that was bad.)  I would like to acquire some new music though, even if i'm not quite sure what's on the list at the moment.  I keep looking for the Plastic Constellations CD, which they never have.  I still haven't heard Tyrannosaurus Hives or The Tipping Point, or figured out whether or not Armed Love ever got released.  i would like to check out the Microphones' It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water, which they never seem to have at Kim's, The Wrens' Seacaucus.  Taking advice from Pitchfork (gasp) I also want to check out There's a Riot Goin' On or maybe the Constantines' album or the Books' Thought For Food.  So much music, so little money...







No comments:

Post a Comment