The GSOC Rally/CD was great. I signed a card, got a pin, and joined the union. NYU American Studies profs were there en masse. I met and re-met some grad students in my department. I saw Morgan Fairchild speak in solidarity with us. There was a little drama around Sweeney, who wasn't particularly cogent or inspiring, which i will not get into here. ( He seemed very tired.) I saw Phoebe, Evan, Robin and a whole lot of GESO and other federation folks. Marching with Andrea and Phoebe and Bob and Brenda and Ann Marie and Jay and busloads of other folks i spent most of the last half-decade organizing with in one way or another seems like a pretty solid way to start grad school.
The title of this post references Pump Up The Volume, which isn't a very good movie, but i like the viral metaphor in terms of me spreading what i learned in New Haven on to another campus and exchanging experiences and information via organizing. Which i am going to have to figure out how to do again soon. Organizing, i mean. This scares but also excites me. Kind of wish i'd gotten arrested. Mad props to those who did. I'm sure there will be more opportunities for me, on one campus or another.
What the fuck is happening in New Haven, by the way?
No comments:
Post a Comment