Saturday, August 13, 2005

Finished the most recent Social Text issue on Surveillance, which was pretty good. Started Lipsitz's The Possessive Investment In Whiteness, one of those books I've been meaning to read for about four years. The first 37 pages have been cogent and fierce. The chapter on the failures of civil rights legislation is particularly strong stuff. At times the book feels like it could have been written by CCNE, which is always a good thing. Apologies for the less than perspicacious comments. It's very hot here and i have no a/c. Anyway, Josh in particular, but really anyone who reads this thing, if I haven't scared you all away with the whole He-Man as confused metaphor for union busting university administration, if you haven't already, you need to read the Lipsitz book. I think you will all find it very useful.

A woman smiled at me on the street in Park Slope as I was walking up to Manhattan and all i could do was bashfully look away. I'm a 12 year old in a 24 year old's body. Mei Xiang (mommy panda) just did the thing where she pushed baby panda onto her forepaws with her nose and then picks him up and cradles him while he nurses. If you haven't been pandawatching, you clearly need to get your shit together. Now she's nuzzling his head. Awwww.

Being more or less on my own for the first time since Boston, really, is proving a bit intense. Being an adult again forces me to sit down and painstakingly go through all the myriad ways i've fucked my life up over the past sixteen months or so, and then try to figure out how to move forward, how to feel like I'm part of a community and engaged in work I want to be doing. I am finding this daunting - because I'm shy, because I'm scared of fucking up even more than I feel like I already have, and because sometimes movin' on is just plain scary and difficult.

1 comment: