Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Post # 300!

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom is mad as hell and he's not going to take any more bullshit from the Multi-Employer Group, the association of Hotels which has locked out 4,000 workers indefintely in an attampt to unilaterally dictate the terms of their contract and working conditions.

"I will do everything in my power to see to it that the city and

county of San Francisco does not do business with those hotels, and I will

extend that in multiple ways because I am very intense about this,'' Newsom

said. "We have people who are suffering out on the streets, and in turn the

image of the city is suffering.


"You will see me take actions to represent

my disappointment not just in the proceeding days and months but years. Even

when the strike ends (the hotel owners) will have sent the message that San

Francisco is dispensable as a city and its employees can be used as pawns, and I

will not forget that and I will act accordingly."



Pretty powerful stuff, but Newsom isn't the only one who's pissed off - the American Anthropological Association, of which my mom is a member, has stated that it will not cross a picket line and do business with a hotel that has locked out its workers.

The group sides ideologically with the union, and Brumfiel has

written that "anthropologists cannot, in all good conscience, meet in facilities

whose owners are using the lockout of low-wage workers as a bargaining

tactic.''


You go, social scientists! In forcing the AAA to move their conference, the Multi-Employer Group is costing the city over three million dollars.



How does Josh wind up in every photo accompanying every article ever written about anything UOC related ever? I'm just kidding. Rock on.



This is my three hundredth post at this site, my 625th on blogger. And it feels like only yesterday i was paranoiacally removing my old site from the internet, fearing the eyes of Bruce laexander's minions around every corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment