I really should post a more in depth entry about yesterday, but for now, this will have to suffice. We had some great picketing at Bobst and Silver (and class discussion on Reconstructing Womanhood was fun, although I think Phil gave us a little too much contextualization (no such thing, i know) and maybe we could have engaged Hazel's arguments a little more. A little odd to talk about Michael Denning like 15 minutes after walking a picket line with him, but such is life. Great to see the GESO(/217) folks who came down yesterday, particularly Kristie, who I hadn't seen in a long time (and the last time I saw her she was in strike mode.) And yeah, it's pretty awesome that they brought Michael, who, if you're jumping on this ship late, i took the equivalent of seven classes with in undergrad and have a huge amount of respect and admiration.
Last night's organizing committee meeting was the best we've had since I've been here. NYU is trying to scare us, to weaken us, but we are getting better at this, we're not just holding on -- in some ways, we're getting stronger. So whatever these mystery announcements are tomorrow, without diminishing the many hardships people are dealing with to stay on strike or the pressure they are facing from administrators and anti-union faculty, I'm very confident that we're going to win this fight and that we can stay out until we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment