Sunday, November 20, 2005

Harry Potter and the hilariously uncomfortable adolescent sexuality.

I finally saw Goblet of Fire at the Court Street UA theater last night. On the whole, it's pretty excellent. The love hectangle stuff with Harry and Ron and Cedric and Cho Chang and Hermione and Victor Krum is fantastic. Newell and the cast do the post-pubescent sexual angst and occasional Ron-Harry (and Harry-"Moody", and Harry-Cedric) homoeroticism ("don't get your wand tied in a knot") extraordinarily well. I disagree with Evan on the ending, which didn't feel nearly uncomfortable enough to me, given the tone of the book and the film's allusions to September 11th and the politics and sentiments of catastrophe, although neither of the people with whom I saw the film agreed that these allusions were there (at least in Goblet. They're pretty hard to ignore in Phoenix and Prince.) This film actually scared me. The scenes in the water during the second trial, and in the maze, and at the graveyard were horrific. The guy who plays Neville was terrific.

2 comments:

  1. We all know Cho was just Cedric's beard between break-time visits from Oliver Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word, two syllables: "Dobby."

    ReplyDelete