Saturday, November 5, 2005

"we're in it for the longue duree"

I've spent most of the last three days in the union office, trying to get classes moved, making picket signs like "We are NOT DOCILE BODIES/Foucauldians on Strike", or venturing out into the department i've been organizing in to try to get folks to commit to come out to picket, which has been a mixed bag. People are afraid of repercussions, and their fears are reinforced by documents like this, linked to on NYU's frontpage, which encourages undergrads to report on striking TAs, makes more vague threats of "repercussions," and subtly reinforces the fear many international students have of losing their visas (scroll down.)

What's enraging about this "FAQ" to me (they use scare quotes, so can I!) is that it's clearly intended as and only as a tool of intimidation. If NYU actually deports or disciplines anyone, I will be shocked. That's not what these missives are about - they're flooding our inboxes with this stuff to scare us off the picket line, which is why that's exactly where all of us need to be come Wednesday.

A couple updates of interest: "Walmart U," NYU AMST prof Lisa Duggan's post on the strike at Drum Major Institute Blog, Physicist Alan Sokal's thoughts on the matter. What did i miss?

1 comment:

  1. Zach-

    I adore your blog's name. Thank you for the link to www.dmiblog.com

    I love the picket sign "Foucauldians on Strike" though as an undergrad my sign probably would have said "Barthes".

    Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete