The demonstrators at both protests likened the summit to a rich
man's club that does nothing for the poor, but the planned arrival of Bush
brought out the most anger.
Marchers held up posters saying: ``Bush, you
stink,'' and ``Terrorist Bush.'' Some chanted: ``Bush, listen: Chile is not for
sale!'' and ``Bush, fascist, thief, murderer!''
``We have seen what APEC
means to us: Turning our workers into cheap force for the businesses,'' said
labor union activist Saul Villegas.
Maria Ines, a housewife, said: ``My
protest is against Bush. No one gave permission to go into Iraq. He thinks he's
God!''
A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Friday, November 19, 2004
Gracias a Santiago
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Chile is my most favored nation. During the week that I spent there, the people I met asked me tons of questions about the American elections; they were the most erudite, piercing questions I got at any time during the election season. It was humbling to see their knowledge of our politics.
ReplyDelete