Thursday, November 11, 2004

Dear CNN,



what the fuck?





Instead of being lionized, Kinsey's proper place is with Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele or your average Hollywood horror flick mad scientist," said Robert Knight, director of Concerned Women of America's Culture & Family Institute.
Ok, let me get this straight. Sex equals the holocaust. Ok, sure, of course, that part i get, but why is the director of Concerned Women of America's Culture & Family institute an angry right wing nutjob male? I mean, how concerned can these women really be if they can't even run their own organization!

"A film could have been produced that would have shown that side of Kinsey but

also shown the hell that he released," Peters added. "That's part of Kinsey's

legacy -- AIDS, abortion, the high divorce rate, pornography -- and there's not

anything in the film to connect him with it."


Pornography dates back centuries before Kinsey's birth. Even the mass production of pornographic material predates Kinsey by decades (look at the "Tijuana Bible" comics of the 1920s-30s, for instance). I fail to see how Kinsey's cataloging of and interest in sexual behaviors bears any responsibility for AIDS, much less for abortion, which is a practice which again predated modernity. As for the divorce rate, laying aside for the moment the ridiculous lack of any causal evidence in any of the statements made by any of the right wing nutjobs CNN treats like reputable and unbiased cultural barometers, well, what about the seismic shifts in the postwar organization of work and construction of domesticity? The increase in the divorce rate means on some level, too, that women are refusing to stay in abusive or unhappy relationships in which they aren't treated fairly or satisfied, and that's a good thing. Please don't print this kind of crap anymore, CNN. As Jon Stewart once said, "it's hurtiing america."



Meanwhile, the anti-immigrant Right
tries to spread Arizona's fraudulent, racist, and deeply frightening Prop 200 initiative elsewhere.



Meanwhile, the multilateral fracas over
Unite To Win has begun. I'm not sure that forced mergers of smaller unions is the answer to the AFL-CIO's organizng woes, but i agree with the folks over at LaborBlog that opponents haven't put forth any kind of competing organizing plan yet.



4 comments:

  1. You've been kissed by the blog fairy, please return the favor at http://ukspice82.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to see Kinsey...Michael got to see it in sneak previews over the summer because he knows Bill Condon, and now is torturing me because it won't be playing any closer to here than New York for at least another month. Now tell me, what kind of boyfriend does that to a girl, huh? Sorry I haven't commented much, hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still wanna see the incredibles, myself. And i totally think you should dump your boyfriend over a movie. That makes soooo much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he's watched the Princess Diaries with me while I was tipsy, so I guess I can forgive him. I also very much want to see The Incredibles. I intend to skip Harvard-Yale weekend after next...wanna see it with me then?

    ReplyDelete