Wednesday, April 6, 2005

I was thinking about trying to get a job somewhere as a delivery guy. Then i read this story, which is horrifying and unbelievable. I don't understand how people couldn't figure out that the elevator was stuck, regardless of whether or not the man trapped inside could speak english. Thank god they found him.

Cablevision, the company that owns Madison Square Garden (and is currently locked in a battle with Time-Warner cable that's keeping about two thirds of the mets' games from being televised) is suing The NY Jets and the MTA in an attempt to stop the stadium on the far west side. I'm opposed to the stadium. I think it's another step in the neoliberal reconfiguration of new york's spatial politics, even if it does ultimately create some jobs, which better fucking be union. But Cablevision's another matter entirely. Cablevision is despicable. Two months ago, they cut off insurance for over two hundred members of Unite Here Local 100 (a union i worked with a few summers back) to try to intimidate/force workers into acquiescing to serious cutbacks in contract negotiations. Please take a few minutes to tell Cablevision that this attack on Madison Square Garden workers is unnacceptable.

Enjoy the weather if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment