This blog's been besieged recently with google image search hits for "wilford brimley." (In February I noted how GSOCers were frequently commenting on his resemblance to NYU Provost David McLaughlin.)
I have to wonder whence this crazed desire for Wilford Brimley pictures originates? A nostalgic desire for a national past that never existed as depicted in oatmeal commercials? An appreciation of Mr. Brimley's fine acting in such films as Cocoon, The Thing, and The Firm? I don't get it.
Reading back over those contentious comment wars as i scan those february posts, I think about where I was wrong ("the leadership change wasn't pressing," etc.), and where I was right (the most important thing was always organizing, transforming), and how absolutely insane last year was, and how we must learn from it in moving the academic labor movement forward. If I were to post a longer "end of the year post," as I have done in previous years, it would be about that. But I still don't feel comfortable airing all that on a blog, particularly this blog. So I'm not going to do that.
Instead, I'm going to go out for a walk and check on my feline charge, who yesterday spent a good half hour jumping around her apartment chasing around a stuffed mouse.
No comments:
Post a Comment