The title was just to get your attention. I spent last night sitting in my apartment reading. I totally didn't realize there was a rap (or at least spoken) interlude on that song. I bought this shitty used funk/soul comp a Other music which has way more disco than anything else, including the song from the Freaks and Geeks episode (Discos and Dragons) where Jason Segal's character (that would be Nick Andopolous) participates in the disco competition, and, like, Cameo. It also has Isaac Hayes's "Theme From Shaft," Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real," and Rockwell ft Jacko, "Somebody's Watching Me" (Rockwell's verses on which now remind me of Boots Riley's affected voice on "We Are The Ones.") Rakim and Billy Griffin have the same name. Discuss. Speaking of Rakim, The JB's "Pass The Peas" and Bobby Bird's "I Know You Got Soul" are both great songs (You can find them on the James Brown's Funky People comps, parts 1 and 2 respectively,) but I prefer the songs that sample them on Paid In Full ("Pass The Peas" provides the great horn sample in "I Ain't No Joke," and Eric B. and Rakim's version of "I Know You Got Soul" got them sued, which is said because it may be the most brilliant hip hop recording ever.)
There was snow, or at least ice, on the rooves of the cars outside my window when I woke up this morning, which made me somewhat happy, but then i thought about the fact that this is the warmest winter in NY history, and that scared the bejeezus out of me. Speaking fo the bejeezus, Two mormon missionaries got on the bus at 42nd and 5th (in Brooklyn. I can't remember the last time I was in midtown. Maybe when Julie and I went to the American Girl store to shop for her neice Sofia in November? I don't know.) On the bus were three little kids and their grandmother. One of the kids, a boy who couldn't have been older than four, kept asking people who were getting off at the back doors if they were leaving and then loudly imitated the beeping noise NYC busses make when their doors are opened or they are pulling away from the curb - i'm actually nto sure when and why htey beep and i've lived in this city most of my life.
Spooky has graduated from my custody. I am going to miss her. I said goodbye today and she crawled onto my lap again and kept nudging me with her face.
No comments:
Post a Comment