Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I was writing a post speculating on why Vin Petrini has stayed at his job for the last three years, what makes someone want to do what he does, and then I got bored and realized I didn'tget nearly as much work done tonight as i had intended. So i reread some Cedric Robinson, and i understand better than i did last year why Black Marxism has become such a canonical text for so many in my field, despite my own issues with it, and i guess that's a good thing to be able to do. In class today my professor, acting as an interlocutor for one of her professors when she was a graduate student, which makes this possibly my most mediated blog entry ever (prove me wrong) emphasized the need to "say yes" to the text before saying no, to understandi a text's project and internal logic before tearing it to shreds, as graduate seminars are wont to do. I think that's good pedagogy, although I'm not convinced anymore that I know what good pedagogy is in a non-empirical sense. I know it when I see it. And i can point to Freire, etc. But Freire is not the be all end all of good teaching. I'm rambling again. It's bed time.

2 comments: