Sunday, January 8, 2006

So what you're saying is...

...that Friends really is an accurate representation of the gentrified yuppie LES life? I've been suggesting that this may be the case since high school, but nevertheless I'm finding this article more than a little bizarre. I'm sure it's doing wonders for Piper Perabo's career though.

I had serious apprehensions about moving back to NYC after college and staying here for grad school. In the former case i didn't really have anywhere else to go and I thought I'd be able to find work faster in New York. Ha. My reservations about staying here were all about gentrification and the way this city is so good at atomizing people and ripping them apart, unless, that is, you want to build an isolated incestuous sitcom "life serial" (to swipe a phrase from the Buffy) instead of a broader and more responsive relationship with the city you live in (and, in my case, where you grew up.) There are days when i wish i'd gone to the west coast or midwest or found some way to stay in New Haven or spent some time "someplace that's else." But, on the other hand, with the strike, i feel like there's an opportunity to find/build a relationship with this city which i feel like i haven't had since high school or maybe since i was doing the internship almost four years ago with Local 100. (HERE, not TWU, in case anyone was wondering.) So hopefully we can all figure out a way to help make new York something more than a yuppified Giulianified amusement park that poor folks can't afford to live in but have to migrate several hours to every day in order to work low-wage, contingent jobs for massively powerful corporations like Domino Sugar and garment sweatshops and New York University.

No comments:

Post a Comment