Thursday, July 28, 2005

serendipitous commodity fetishism


I went walking up broadway to try to shake off moving-related stress and grab a slice of pizza at Sal and Carmine's. On the way back down from 116th street, which is where i turned around, i passed by a sidewalk book vendor who was selling an old harcover copy of David Montgomery's important 1967 book Beyond Equality: Labor and the Radical Republicans, 1862-1874 for a very reasonable $10. I've read a bunch of Montgomery's books, met him once or twice, and seen him speak several times, and I think he's pretty brilliant. I'd heard and read great things about the book - I'm pretty sure some of Agnew's FORMAC lectures were relying on it pretty heavily - so i bought it. When i looked at the title page, i found out that the copy i held was actually a first edition, which is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment