Friday, March 16, 2007

i know you like to linedance...

The snow is turning into rain, and I am sitting in my apartment procrastinating again, thinking about another bizarre dream last night involving an immigrant rights rally in which some fictional figure i was supposedly affiliated with was getting booed for supporting a guestworker program or something to that effect. Also, Anita was there and inexplicably working at a bookstore. I get weird dreams when i'm stressed out - like during reading week and finals my first semester of college, but I don't feel stressed out right now so much as listless and pessimistic and detatched, so i'm not really sure whence all this crap is spewing forth into my subconscious.

Watched "October Road" last night because I had no desire to do anything else, and it was sort of ridiculous - racist fantasy of escape and return to pastoral suburban idyll disguised as "you can never go home" parable complete with Gin Blossoms or their imitators-heavy soundtrack, decadent urban alienation depicted by former MTV personality Bill Bellamy. WTF.

Joss Whedon's first installment of Buffy: Season Eight in comic book form came out on wednesday and it's pretty good. Looks like he's going to more explicitly go into the slayer/anarchist/terrorist trope from season four, Buffy vs. the state, and that should be interesting, though i still feel like anything after "Chosen" is anticlimactic by default - including all of Angel Season 5. Enough babbling.

4 comments:

  1. just giving a shout out. i googled "socialist reading circle" and saw the comment you made about the group.

    my name's timothy, i actually started the circle, right now we're active in new brunswick (jersey) and there's a semi-active cell in missouri, which meets infrequently. it's an idea that's catching on though, and it's always cool to hear someone talking about he group whom i've never met.

    i see that you're based out of brooklyn. are you involved in the activist community where you're at? i'm in touch with some people in the metro area, mainly through the sds, all solid people.

    that's about it, just thought i'd say hey. if you want to get in contact, email me at

    socialistreadingcircle@yahoo.com

    cool. l8r.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. neon bible isn't just ok, i think it's going to be one of the better albums this year.

    i'm just sayin'.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Joss Whedon, I am mostly done watching Firefly. Thing is, the more I wach the angrier I get, because I'm very interested in these people and sad the stories were never told in the depth they could have been. I am very down with the respectability of companions.

    Please comment more on "October Road," I've been clawing my eyes out seeing promos for it. Someday I hope to write a novel about my small hometown and I was thinking, would I be making all those people look bad, or would the cross burnings and the lynch mobs be the things that made them look bad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was recently watching some show in whihc Morena Baccarin randomly turned up as someone's date, but i don't remember what show it was. Oh wait, it was the O.C. That's bizarre.

    When Serenity was being preveiwed, it was prefaced with this clip of Joss Whedon tearfully declaring victory for having successfully brought back the ship and its denizens, Fox be damned. I encountered this thirdhand on the DVD, but it was still bizarrely emotional to watch.

    ReplyDelete