I saw a woman on the street wearing a t-shirt which read "I survived the 1986 Phillipine Revolution." Hipster irony has taken a strange turn.
Speaking of which, the new Decemberists album actually managed to surprise me, abandoning at times the fetishized pseudopirate atavisms of the previous 3 records for occasional Yes-style prog rock which at times even approaches funkiness. wtf.
Tower records is closing every store in the US. I raided the soul section of the one on B-Way and West 4th yesterday and bought a lot of cds at a large discount. I may go back as the closing date draws nearer and do so again. I don't really mourn tower's passing, even if it is supposed to mark "the death of the record store." I still buy CDs. I don't trust 100% digital media - I need some kind of hard copy for times like now, when the laptop i'm borrowing from my dad decides to stop reading usb drives, or in case i accidentally hit "restore." I'm going to continue to buy CDs - from places like Other Music - so named in part because it was and is right across the street from the downtown Tower store (well, i think that's why they named it that...) And there's that massive Virgin Megastore up in Union Square. And Kim's. And Sounds. And Bleeker Bob's. And Generations. Etc, etc.
If we're making a list -- Fat Beats and Rebel Rebel.
ReplyDelete