A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Sunday, October 15, 2006
I'm leavin/on a midday train to Connecticut
I woke up yesterday morning and it was beautiful out and i didn't want to finish my customary walk into manhattan only to spend the next x hours stewing in the oppressive depths of the worst university library i've ever seen, freaking out about work and grad school and being 20something and kinda lonely. I didn't really even want to be in NYC - I wanted to get out, to go somewhere where the leaves are actually changing colors and it didn't smell so much like urine and yuppies. So after finishing my walk, I jumped on the 6, and then on the 12:07 and a couple hours later after gawking at the semi-demolished shell of the New Haven Coliseum and the gentrified geography of the ninth square, I met Phoebe on the corner of Orange and Elm and we walked up to the top of East Rock, which the family of Red-Tailed Hawks (buteo jamaicensis, for the wildlife biology enthusiasts out there) that live up there were circling, and looked at the trees and the water and felt happy to be not in NYC at the moment. We walked back down, cut through the ITS parking lot, laughed at 55 Whitney and the Office of Quality People (ONHSA) and then I met Dubba Wubba Noah on the steps of the union office and we went to Lalibela. I saw some other UOC folks later before jumping on the 9:16 and would have gotten home at a reasonable hour had not the Brooklynbound N-R line been predictably fucked up. But I'm still really glad i got out of the city for a day, because I'm not sure when I'll have the next chance to do that, and I really needed it.
Labels:
federation,
uoc
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i'm so jealous. lucky punk!!
ReplyDeletehey, i'm back on this side of the border now. i'll give you a call later ok?
I am uber jealous.
ReplyDeletephoebe rounds...
ReplyDeletephoebe rounds...
didn't she used to have a blog or something?
why, yes, i believe she did.
ReplyDeleteI mean, I still do, to be taken up again at some point.
ReplyDeleteas if you (alek) should be one to talk about hiatuses in blogging...
1. oh, snap - but 2.,
ReplyDeletePhoebe, you haven't blogged in like TEN MONTHS. The last time you blogged a substantial entry the NYU strike was less than two months old. Alek wasn't married. Josh still called people back. I didn't have any incompletes in grad school.
TEN MONTHS, eh?
ReplyDeleteok, fine, I'll make some substantial blog posts about something by the end of the month.