Organizing can and has begun to transform this dystopia, has begun to reshape the post-1980 university into a more democratic and just space. That's what Education In The Streets was about. Fuck, it's what the whole Yale fight is about. And, of course, it's what we are fighting for at NYU today. The last time GSOC won a contract, the adjuncts started organizing and won union recognition and now work under the protections and benefits of a union contract. Some of the faculty, while still trying to be supportive, don't think we can win and are trying to broker deals on our behalf to remove the reprisal threats if we go back to work. Any such deal without a guarantee of negotiations between GSOC and the University Leadership Team would be a loss for us as a union. Such a deal is also not really where we need to go at this point anyway. We are not losing this fight, we're still winning it. This is hard for the faculty to accept in part because they can't do what we are doing; they have been stripped of even that right. We need to win this because they need a voice too. We're the only people who can win this. Without this strike, there can be no faculty democracy. And I'm not just talking about the NYU organization.
That's pretty much what I said at the second membership meeting last night. I felt like I should write it down in case I want to flesh it out later for some kind of more detailed intervention or something. That sounds totally pretentious. All the arguments about Bayh-Dole/Yeshiva really come from the FHUE research team (including, indirectly, Lafer, who had left by the time I got to New Haven,) and all those organizing conversations I eavesdropped on in Koffee 2 while waiting for Alek or Julie to show up. I think they are worth thinking about some more, and I'm going to continue to do that and hope that I do so in ways that are as useful for other folks as the ways other folks have been thinking about them are for me.
The meetings themselves were both great - a very open, very honest, and very important conversation about where we are, where we need to go, and how we get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment