Friday, September 26, 2008

addendum,

except the liner notes to the Tim remaster tell us that Westerberg wrote "Waitress in the Sky" about his sister, a flight attendant, from the point of view of an asshole customer. While the subtlety of wit may be lost on listeners and critics alike, who've long panned the song as sounding like grade a rock star idiocy, i wonder if we have to read it differently with this familial intimacy in mind...

Alright, that's the last I'll have to say about Paul Westerberg for a while, barring a new album, another reunion, or me actually ever buying Don't Tell a Soul and/or All Shook Down

2 comments:

  1. All Shook Down is not worth it, but I think you should get Don't Tell a Soul, even for "Talent Show" alone. It's actually Camellia's favorite Replacements album, on the whole, although she likes the songs on other ones more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vibe I got from what little I've heard of don't tell has been ubersanitized, unpunked pop that was neither as smart nor as catchy as either of three albums that preceded it, but I'll check it out at some point.

    ReplyDelete