Last night after the jazz concert that i went to with Jia Lynn and a friend of hers from college we bumped into these two other Yale kids i'd never met before, and we wound up all going to the Empire Diner, which i hadn't been to since like 6th grade or something when i still felt semi-comfortable speaking to my dad's sister on a regular basis. One of these guys started talking shit about New Haven and how he lived on Chapel and Dwight and heard gun shots all the time and wants to "live in Yale not New Haven" and was tal;king about the new luxury apartment building on Church and Wall that he's going to live in next year. I was extraordinarily restrained given the circumstances.
The other guy, who seemed like a much more decent human being, and i got in to a conversation about graduate student/employee unionization, which is really the first time I've had to "defend" transient teacher and researcher unionization in well over a year. I'm not sure how effective i was, but i realized how awkward it feels trying to speak from a perspective other than that of an undergraduate, which means i've got a lot to work on.
In the space of nine days in June, i'm going to see The Pixies AND Sleater-Kinney. I'm excited.

No comments:
Post a Comment