Tuesday, February 1, 2005

return the gift

Alek has re-launched new plastic music, complete with a blog and music picks, comlete with Quicktime samples. If anyone is interested the only one i have is the Vaselines compilation, which is pretty awesome. Anyway, check it out.



I have been listening to a lot of music in the last few weeks - The Game's Documentary, soaked in Dre-produced nostalgia for the NWA era, Cam'Ron's intriguing Purple Haze, and pitchfork favorites Black Mountain, Archer Prewitt, and the cooperative venture between Bonnie Prince Billy and Chavez's Matt Sweeney, Superwolf. All are pretty good and you should check them out, though the music i'm really obsessing over right now is more predictable for people who've been reading this site with any semblance of consistency - The Clash, The Go! Team,
Hüsker Dü, Sinic Youth, The Advantage, the Pixies, Gang of Four, Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, The Replacements, Pavement, The Coup, The Breeders, Jackie Mittoo, GBV, Charles Mingus, Camper Van Beethoven, The Fiery Furnaces, Mos Def, Mission of Burma, Tribe, The Arcade Fire, The Decembrists, The Shins (with reservations about possible Ayn Randianism,) Television, The Silver Jews, and a whole lot of other shit. Ah, fuck it, i'll shut up.



I am feeling like i am at the end of my rope and i have no idea what i'm doing. I feel pathetic and miserable and frightened and useless. I waste time prodigiously to avoid having to think about how i am using it, and it sucks and i want my life back. I'm on the verge of tears right now and i have been for weeks. And admitting this just makes me feel that much more disgusted with myself.

4 comments:

  1. you wrote "Sinic Youth," which made me think that Cynic Youth would be an awesome name for something, but I don't know what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been partial to the Ciccone Youth "Whitey Album" they did with Mike Watt et al. Sinic literally means "of or pertaining to chinese people," so maybe it could be a reference to the cultural revolution a la Gang of Four?

    Did you know that "cynic" comes from the greek word Kuon, meaning dog? I guess if you're a cynic you literally hound preconceived notions or truisms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know "zach" comes from the ancient greek word "zach," meaning "etymology dork?" learn something everyday. paaaaaaayce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually it means rememberance of god or something. Either that, or obnoxious saved by the bell character

    ReplyDelete