Thursday, June 10, 2004

Perhaps I was too alarmist in my last post. While the loss of card check, if the partisan and reactionary NLRB does rule it an illegal tactic, will be a huge setback to union's strategic planning and organizing, such an admittedly calamitous event might trigger - by necessity - new strategies for organizing workers - such as "minority unionism" and other unorthodox means of organizing shopfloor power - whether those shops are auto plants or nursing homes, discussion sections, day care centers, or cafeterias. Still, a declaration that a board election is the only process through which unions can gain recognition would be devastating. 50% of all NLRB-sponsored union elections are lost due to managerial anti-union attacks and intimidation. Workers are fired for organizing in one out of every three union drives. As GET-UP and GSEU have seen, even when unions (we think) win elections, employers can have ballots impounded and prevent the results of the election from being recognized for years, exploting a flawed and biased appeals process which only favors management. This kind of ruling would be unnaceptable.

1 comment:

  1. This message is not a direct answer to the last text shared, but a more general reflexion about this internet site.

    LEISURE- I like to hear the problem of capitalism. But is capitalism a real problem? Well, let us think a little bit about it. I mean, capitalism sucks when you have nothing, I most agree about it. But have you ever ask yourself why you are outraged against capitalism? Because you have the time to think about it, don’t you? And why do you have time to think about it? Because you know that you will not starve to death tomorrow, because you know you are having a roof over your little head and moreover, because you are educated enough to play with these concepts. And may I ask why indeed you have all these charming things? Well, let us pinpoint the villain: capitalism! Well, I will not underestimate your intelligence by explaining myself longer on the subject. Just thing about the evolution of society and the answer will appear by itself.

    Good reflexions to you all and hope I will raise your indignation. Discussion is a least the only remains of our fascinating so-called democracy (and not only talking about USA).

    ReplyDelete