Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Some thoughts on a shitstorm

I don't have much to say about the Aliza Shvarts mess other than that Yale should not be censoring artists who are doing innovative, politically complex and well-thought out work.

I'm particularly interested though, in a little-explored (at least in commentary I've read) aspect of the administrative fallout, which is the academic labor politics of the Dean's response.

From Peter Salovey's most recent statement:

After investigation, Dean Storr and I have determined that there were serious errors of judgment on the part of two individuals. In one case, the instructor responsible for the senior project should not have allowed it to go forward. In the other, an adviser [sic] should have interceded and consulted others when first given information about the project. Appropriate action has been taken in these two cases.

Both the instructor and the advisor are almost certainly adjuncts or otherwise contingent. (As a lecturer, the advisor is the former, albeit a highly credentialed one.) What is "appropriate action" here? How this act of censorship affect the employment status of these teachers? Without job security, academic freedom is a fiction.

2 comments:

  1. No need for the "sic": adviser is spelled correctly. In fact, it's the primary spelling; advisor is the variant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen advisor much more often.

    ReplyDelete