The title of this post is an expropriation of one of my favorite Josh quotes. It has nothing to do with anything other than that I saw Josh for the first time in almost a year this morning in Park Slope, which was fun.
Thanksgiving was oddly quiet this year - a function of the immdeiate family being all on another continent right now and most of the extended family who made it being of the elderly variety. Also, there were more non-family guests than family members, most of whom were over 60 or 70, and they were thus totally incapable of generating the same kind of ruckus that C and L and Lev and K and J and N and I have done in the past - though Z, Kai, and E do a pretty good job of picking up the slack for three people whose combined age is 12, one of whom isn't even potty trained yet. I miss the folks who couldn't make it - whether because of traffic or because of oblligations to other family elsewhere. I was also exhausted the whole time because of a lingering cold that seems to only now be receeding. It was very weird to not have R there, not so much because I wish she had been there as because that discomfort had become so ritualized and normalized that I found myself shocked by her not being there, by the absence of that familar family drama and trauma which has dominated my interactions with my dad's side of the family for most of my life. This is all sounding way more callous than it is, and I'll shut up about this on the internet. I will say that I deeply love B and Z and am incredibly blessed that they're still around and I can go hang out with them pretty much whenever I want to - like i did today, instructing them on how to use their new cell phone and bringing over a watch they'd left at I and El's and a photo of the immediate family plus B, Z, and J from I'm not sure when that I printed out the other night.
I really like my cousins. I miss my asshole brother who is in Leeds for no reason. Where the fuck is Leeds, anyway?
Did get to see C and L (and A and J) yesterday, when we went to see Casino Royale as part of the annual friday after thanksgiving cousin movie excursion. Good, for a bond movie, problematic by my more usual standards - fucked up racist images of dreadlocked african construction workers getting all shot up for no reason whatsoever except expediency and body count(still might have preferred Happy Feet or Borat or The Pick of Destiny.) And I recently came into posession of the dvd of the complete series of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., the Bruce Campbell sci-fi western hour long series that was on on friday nights right before x-files for its first season and which I liked a lot when I was twelve. (Sixth grade.) Episode five (if you count the pilot) is called "Brisco in Jalisco" and it's absolutely ridiculous - set in 1893 Mexico with all these guys running around in fake Pancho Villa moustaches that don't even match their hair color, and that guy from NY Undercover plays "Emilio Pena," this pseudo-Zapata figure who talks with a Bronx/Nuyorican accent and sounds more like a Young Lord than an old peasant. Plus they spend the first half of the epsiode retreading every single stereotype of Mexico and Mexicanness before they introduce Michael DeLorenzo (the only Mexican guy on the show without a ridiculous fake moustache) as the messiah figure. So strange. Also, Abel Koontz, Balthazar, Socrates Pool - same person!
Alright. enough totally uninsightful commentary on popular culture from me. Hope everyone had good thanksgivings.
Maybe you can find your asshole brother in Los Angeles. Worked for Gavin Rossdale.O
ReplyDeleteYeah, that was the reference.
ReplyDeleteGod, i hate/d that song/band/subgenre.
It was super fun.
ReplyDeleteNow you come to Sacramento.