Other interesting thing about The Adventures of Brisco County Junior is cameo in one episode by one of my sophomore year suitemates. I had no idea until i saw the episode for the first time in thirteen years and recognized a familiar face, and the episode credits confirmed it. Crazy.
Dave Chapelle's Block Party is enjoyable, although I get angry every time I see Common about the stupid gap commercial, and then Mos Def pops up and I think about the shittiness that was "the rapeover," and there's Wyclef's problematic speech to the CSU marching band kids which employs the narrative of West Indian immigrant success to call for a Booker T.-style throw down your buckets and stop blaming the white man strategy for African American communities, right after playing a song to them which is somewhat more cognizant of what the speech perhaps dismisses (or sees as strategically useless). But then you get Jill Scott openly laughing at the director's suggestion that she might feel nervous about going on after Erykah Badu ("Have you ever heard me perform," she replies,) and, of course, the Fugees get back together, which Chapelle calls a miracle, and then Wyclef comes out, which whatever cause i've seen him at three union events now, but still cool, and then Lauryn Hill comes out, and even wearing a Yankees cap that's still pretty awesome, and at that point Pras isn't even anticlimactic.
Thanksgiving break, which is always too short (except in college when they gave us the whole week) to actually constitute a break in any real sense is ending and the daily crush of NYU resumes tomorrow. I'm excited to get back to organizing, but increasingly stressed out about the end of the semester crush. What else is new, other than unseasonably warm temperatures? (Last year at this time, I was on the picket line every morning and it was fucking freezing.)
No comments:
Post a Comment