Picked up Oliver Wang's Soul Sides, Volume 1 compilation the other day, and whatever reservations one might have about Wang's blog, (which I've occasionally found to be really great,) his weird feud with Jean Grae, etc., the cd is excellent - mostly great stuff I had never heard before except as sampled by others - Joe Bataan's "Ordinary Guy," Donny Hathaway's cover of Lennon's "Jealous Guy," "Piece of My Heart" as covered by Aretha's sister Erma, Linda Lyndell's "What A Man," - which inspired Salt n Pepa and En Vogue's "Whatta Man," and William Bell's "I forgot to be your lover," -- which Dilated Peoples sampled on "Worst Comes to Worst," before they got really, really boring. Plus, Weldon Irvine. The addition of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' "All Over Again" as the last track is somewhat strange given the years and contexts which separate the 60's and 70's gems Wang selects and this great but self-consciously retro-revivalist track from the 2005 record Naturally. But it's nevertheless worth checking out.
I'm looking forward to hearing the Lady Sov record. Also, I'm tired. Also, commercial on TV about cleaning substance a la draino but called "CLR." Apparently it's "everywhere." Transnational like its namesake?
That William Bell track has been worked to death, though the consensus I've heard (well, I've talked about it with two people, so, I guess among the three of us) is that Alchemist flipped it best by far.
ReplyDeleteFrom the breaks.com, here are the others:
Brand Nubian - "Lick Dem Muthafuckaz"
Chino XL - "Sorry"
Jahiem - "Put that Woman First"
Killah Priest ft Tekitah - "One Step"Ludacris - "Growing Pain"
That link doesn't work.
ReplyDeleteI have heard atleast one of those tracks - i think it was probably the ludacris, but i'm not sure.
Ann Peebles' "I can't stand the rain:" most sampled song ever?
Never mind. apparently it's only been sampled twice, it's just both times were really famous. Most sampled ever may be "flashlight." Or Melvin Bliss's "Synthetic Substitution. Jesus.
ReplyDelete