This entry isn't actually union related. At least, not entirely. I apologize for the misdirection.
I've run into like twelve people i know or once knew today, all in the east village, and all randomly. One person from my department here, one person from high school, and a bunch from college - seems like there's a rather large population of Yale kids living the MTV Downtown life in the corporate/corcoran simulacrum of la vi(e)llage boheme.
Alright, that was a bit mean. Forgive me - i don't mean to slight these folks. Some of them are very nice. I'm just feeling generally pessimistic about the future of the city as a social space.
New York (TM), a designation by which i am tempted to refer to the branded experience of living in prime gentrified real estate with an upwardly mobile career (this is dubious in my case) and shopping in the mallified city, however many people i run into on any given day, remains a deeply atomizing experience. Trying to form lasting and meaningful relationships with people sometimes feels like trying to tread water in a whirlpool. I want to be clear that the argument i am trying to make here is not a primitivist or otherwise reactionary one, full of romanticized yearning for the good old days of industrial violence and slavery and imperialism and genocide (hey, wait. All of those things are still happening...) I think what i'm ultimately frustrated by is the lack of people to hang out with on saturday night. But really, I shouldn't be hanging out with anyone, because i have 500 pages to read and an organizing committee (GSOC's version of what GESO calls CC, minus Tandoor but with pizza) meeting tomorrow.
Back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment