Last time I was in the bookstore, I leafed through the similarly-motivated History of the American People, and among the highlights were:
- The Supreme Court "provoked" murders of doctors who perform abortions
- The Bell Curve was a courageous work wrongly criticized by liberal academics
- White Americans are right to be disturbed by seeing government instructions in Spanish in "their" country
- Restricting government endorsement of Christianity is making America godless like Europe (which, in this author's reading, must have more separation of church and state than the US
Instead, this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1553693043/qid=1105308996/sr=5-3/ref=cm_lm_asin/103-1416785-6315818?v=glance&s=books) should be required reading.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0816630348/qid=1105418963/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4153104-5484633?v=glance&s=books is a personal favorite. -Evan
That's a great one Evan. I first read it in Michael Denning's "strikes in twentieth centruy hisory and culture grad seminar three years ago. (We did a week on Yale stuff, which was funny 'cause the class was me, Michael Mullins, and the entire American Studies organizing committee (and one of the "alternative geso people.") We watched "the subtext of a Yale education" and denning brought beer. Anyway my favorite essay in that book is Kathy Newman's "Ph.D." essay. I've gushed about it here so many times that Professor Newman has emailed me about it, so i'm not going to say anything else about it other than go read it if you haven't already. The essays by Berube and Corey Robin/Michelle Stephens are also really great.
The crazy thing is that I didn't realize the first review of the book on the Amazon page was written by you (because I've just learned to ignore Amazon reviews) until well after I wrote that post.
I am still desperate to see "Subtext of a Yale Education," and every time we have a Coordinating Committee retreat there's a rumor that someone brought it and we're going to watch it, but without fail it seems, we keep seeing the UNITE HERE merger video. Which is also really good, but I want to see the surprise Corporation visit. -Evan
The day the '03 contract was settled i was watching "subtext" (for the third time) with the dwight hall urban fellows, i think because sara weiss wanted me to talk to them about the '96 trike or something. Then someone came in with the YDN "extra" sheet and chaos sort of erupted, but that's going to be what i associate the film with for the rest of my life. The movie's very well done. Besides the amazing moment where bob proto says "WE are the only light and truth at this university," and a similar point at which Richard Trumka informs a crowd of strikers "we're going to shove light and truth so far up Yale's ass...," and the corporation meeting scene, which I think the 9/27/02 boathouse action kind of trumped, but that may just be because i was there, there are some great interviews and quotes from folks like Andrea, Michael Denning, Hazel Carby, and others and a very powerful critique of what it means to be a student when workers are striking which i found extremely powerful the first time i saw it. The filmmaker was somewhat ambivalent about GESO, (and earlier work, called radical dealt primarily with the grade strike, i believe, and Subtext's focus is primarily on the 34-35 contract fight (and the community,) but there are also some great quotes from Professor Carby and some GESO organizers on the anti-union campaign Yale was running (and continues to run) against graduate teachers. I'm pretty sure there's a copy sowhere in the union office. I know michael mullins provided the copy we watched in the Strikes seminar, so everyone who's in New Haven and hasn't seen it should bug him about it. And everyone who's not in New Haven should make Alek Felstiner copy his version of it for them, 'cause he has one too.
Last time I was in the bookstore, I leafed through the similarly-motivated History of the American People, and among the highlights were:
ReplyDelete- The Supreme Court "provoked" murders of doctors who perform abortions
- The Bell Curve was a courageous work wrongly criticized by liberal academics
- White Americans are right to be disturbed by seeing government instructions in Spanish in "their" country
- Restricting government endorsement of Christianity is making America godless like Europe (which, in this author's reading, must have more separation of church and state than the US
damn those liberal academics!
ReplyDeleteInstead, this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1553693043/qid=1105308996/sr=5-3/ref=cm_lm_asin/103-1416785-6315818?v=glance&s=books) should be required reading.
ReplyDeleteHow about this?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0816630348/qid=1105418963/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4153104-5484633?v=glance&s=books
ReplyDeleteis a personal favorite.
-Evan
That's a great one Evan. I first read it in Michael Denning's "strikes in twentieth centruy hisory and culture grad seminar three years ago. (We did a week on Yale stuff, which was funny 'cause the class was me, Michael Mullins, and the entire American Studies organizing committee (and one of the "alternative geso people.") We watched "the subtext of a Yale education" and denning brought beer. Anyway my favorite essay in that book is Kathy Newman's "Ph.D." essay. I've gushed about it here so many times that Professor Newman has emailed me about it, so i'm not going to say anything else about it other than go read it if you haven't already. The essays by Berube and Corey Robin/Michelle Stephens are also really great.
ReplyDeleteThe crazy thing is that I didn't realize the first review of the book on the Amazon page was written by you (because I've just learned to ignore Amazon reviews) until well after I wrote that post.
ReplyDeleteI am still desperate to see "Subtext of a Yale Education," and every time we have a Coordinating Committee retreat there's a rumor that someone brought it and we're going to watch it, but without fail it seems, we keep seeing the UNITE HERE merger video. Which is also really good, but I want to see the surprise Corporation visit.
-Evan
The day the '03 contract was settled i was watching "subtext" (for the third time) with the dwight hall urban fellows, i think because sara weiss wanted me to talk to them about the '96 trike or something. Then someone came in with the YDN "extra" sheet and chaos sort of erupted, but that's going to be what i associate the film with for the rest of my life. The movie's very well done. Besides the amazing moment where bob proto says "WE are the only light and truth at this university," and a similar point at which Richard Trumka informs a crowd of strikers "we're going to shove light and truth so far up Yale's ass...," and the corporation meeting scene, which I think the 9/27/02 boathouse action kind of trumped, but that may just be because i was there, there are some great interviews and quotes from folks like Andrea, Michael Denning, Hazel Carby, and others and a very powerful critique of what it means to be a student when workers are striking which i found extremely powerful the first time i saw it. The filmmaker was somewhat ambivalent about GESO, (and earlier work, called radical dealt primarily with the grade strike, i believe, and Subtext's focus is primarily on the 34-35 contract fight (and the community,) but there are also some great quotes from Professor Carby and some GESO organizers on the anti-union campaign Yale was running (and continues to run) against graduate teachers. I'm pretty sure there's a copy sowhere in the union office. I know michael mullins provided the copy we watched in the Strikes seminar, so everyone who's in New Haven and hasn't seen it should bug him about it. And everyone who's not in New Haven should make Alek Felstiner copy his version of it for them, 'cause he has one too.
ReplyDelete