Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tomorrow at 5:30 I'll be outside the union square bank of america just a block up from the GSOC office, standing in solidarity with the employees of the Republic Window factory in Chicago who are occupying their factory to demand the back pay owed them/save their jobs. The workers have called for nationwide solidarity actions at noon - there's going to be a big one in Chicago. And an earlier march is being planned here in NY by the IWW leaving from St. Mark's Church at noon, which i might also stop by.

Meanwhile, I think the staples singers put it best:



(I love how the reproductive, feminized labor of the household and domestic service gets placed before waged or unwaged "masculine" "productive" labor and both precede and situate and articulate the nationalist narrative framework through reference to "the control over unpaid labor." Capital v1 p 672. Imperialism's the "materialization of unpaid labor time" spatially diffused and writ large across the globe, the movement of labor and capital, the commodification of workers and the labor of racialized and commoditized workers.)

Edited again to add that this performance precedes "The Power of Women and the Subversion of Community" by a whole year. Also see Silvia Federici's critique of post/autonomist, post/operaist theories of precarity, which i think is at moments extremely insightful, though I disagree with some of her claims.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I love how you interweaved the Republic Window factory sit-in with the Staples singers, Marx, and Federici. We're on the same wavelength here in Minneapolis - the IWW is planning a solidarity protest and we (some of the 'Rethinking the U' conference organizers, amongst others) are having a reading group this Saturday on "The Power of Women and the Subversion of Community." ... Let's generalize that Anomalous Wave across the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete