Saturday, September 29, 2007

Late night random ipod shuffle playlist.

1. Sleater-Kinney, "Call The Doctor". I knwo it's a critique of the heteronormative biopolitics of medical knowledge and practice, but this song also remids me that i should, in fact, call the doctor. And then i imagine Corin Tucker shaking her head in disgust, which is really just badly disguised egotism on my part.

2.Madvillan, "Meat Grinder." I swear this song samples the bass line from Rush's "Tom Sawyer." In high school, when i "worked" at this ska label in the east village, i had a friend who was obsessed with Rush. He even put out a zine called "Rudies for Rush."

3.Sonic Youth, "Karen Revisited," from Murray Street, which got talked about as a "comeback album," post NYC Ghosts and Flowers. This song is really long. Even for Sonic Youth.

4. J-Dilla, "One For Ghost."

5.Company Flow, "Last Good Sleep." Also really long.

6.Curtis Mayfield, "Underground." One of his best.

7.Aretha Franklin, "Rock Steady." Desmond Dekker might disagree, or maybe not.

8.M.I.A. "Bingo." Not my favorite track off Arular.

9.The Unicorns, "Tuff Ghost." I still haven't decided whether or not i like this band and its various offshoots. Is the title a Marley reference?

10. Run-D.M.C. "Proud to be Black." Along with "Hard Times," their forray into "conscious rap." Possibly as counterpoint to "My Adidas" following the rescinding of "don't want nobody's name on my behind?"

No comments:

Post a Comment