Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I taught my first two sections yesterday, (World Cultures: Contemporary Latino Cultures) at 8:00 and 9:30 in the morning on opposite sides of campus (houston and mercer and then 11th and university.) The first one went well. I was completely exhausted and barely coherent by the end of the second section. It was exciting nonetheless. And a little surreal. And sort of fun.

I then went home to get out of the rain, started grading (which is a pretty horrible, harrowing, and nerve-wracking exercise if you've never done it,) and promptly fell asleep around 2 PM. I woke up and the clock said 5:30 and i thought it was five thirty in the morning and i freaked out and then i realized it might be afternoon, but i was sure i'd slept twenty-seven hours instead of three and a half. It was pretty disorienting

The class is going well. The professor i teach for has been pretty good about critiquing the marginalized position the World Cultures curriculum occupies in relation the "Conversations of The West," as well as the problems in excluding latino cultures from the west, the problems that come with failing to understand colonialism and conquest as fundamental to the formaion and articulation of western modernity as performed by our more 'universal' counterparts in the MAP.

But i am boring myself, and I am way too overburdened between teaching, coursework, and my looming first exam to be blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment