Thursday, September 20, 2007

Department bar night was at the karaoke bar. This was kind of awesome. Got there late though, because of GSOC "meet your union" event, which had way better turnout than i was expecting given the minimal amount of organizing I did for it. I reprised "Holy Diver," which was fun, "Fuck and Run," which may have pissed some folks off, and Madness's "Our House," which for some reason I mangled - a combination of my getting sick from not sleeping enough/the mouse in my apartment maybe giving me meningitis or something - and just generally being exhausted after a busy day involving a massive load of laundry, a very short haircut, a contentious meeting (making me miss the UOC and that kind of respectful, professional, but loving and supportive organizing environment - that sounds childish) and a fair amount of reading.

I've been thinking about The Silver Jews' "Send in the Clowns," my favorite song off American Water, which the artist formerly known as Sam G. inadvertently sold me on sometime during my first year of college and which retroactively became one of my favorite albums of the late 1990s. (I would have figured this out earlier if i'd listened to pavement prior to 1999 instead of, like, Skavoovie and The Epitones or Jump With Joey...) (Ok, and Charles Mingus and Wes Montgimery and Pat Metheny) There is a line "I'm going to bury my name in you," and I keep thinking about the ways in which gender(ed) violence permeates this phrase and totally shifts the terms of the song and jars the listener. I don't really ahve anything profound to say about this, because again, I'm sick and sniffly, and there are mice in my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment