Wednesday, March 29, 2006

the clap pt 2

So when i was walking to the picket line this morning, up Bowery from the Manhattan Bridge, out of one ofthe restauraunt supply stores came a familiar song - the early synth-pop hit "popcorn." It's been in my head ever since. Read a brief history of it here.

I'd also like to announce that I just downloaded "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" as a ringtone. I'm sure, to paraphrase Malcolm Reynolds, that your days of not taking me seriously have finally reached a middle.

Thanks to all the respondents for their honest and diverse responses. I think part of the reason GSOC folks have such a strong aversion to the farmworker clap is that they think of it as an ahistoricized "power clap," to quote our unit chair, which sounds to me and probably others like corporate sensitivity jargon, Peter Drucker on Xanax. What the clap actually means, its history in the farmworker struggles and the Chicano movimiento, are evacuated in favor of what GSOCers percieve as empty groupthink.

So how do we change this, if that's what we decide we need to do? Does the farmworker clap constitute a useful means of connecting our strike and our union to other labor and social movement struggles? And is this a project we should even be embarking upon at this point?

No comments:

Post a Comment