Friday, May 30, 2008

procrastinare semper

A couple things as i work through my exam - i wrote three thousand words on Wednesday and about 1800 since. I like what i've written, but i'm not sure if it's exam-ish enough.

First, in response to Alyssa's contention that Indiana Jones and Star Wars are no places to look for political praxis, I want to agree and renew my suggestion that we instead look towards Buffy. Here I am speaking not only of season 4 (Smash the corporate/military/demonic university!) btu also season three, for blowing up (metaphorically) the schools and the giant snakes inside them seems a fairly accurate representation of my political and academic projects over the past nine years (since the founding of the Fieldston Revolutionary Anarchist Collective of Activist Students (FRACAS).) Graduation Day pts 1. and 2., like much of Season 7, are about organizing, about making connections, about challenging folks, pushing folks, about mass armed uprisings at scholastic graduations. Err, um, scratch the last part? And for any FBI, i reaffirm my commitment to bourgie ass nonviolent direct action blah blah blah.

Second, it's friday. Random shuffle: (from a new ipod i haven't burned all my cd collection onto yet. (I go to 20 because i haven't done this in a while)

1. Som Nosso, "Pra Swingar," from Baile Funk 1: The Brazilian Beat Mix.

2. Moldy Peaches "Anyone else but you." From The Moldy Peaches. Enh.

3.The Fatback Band, "Backstrokin' ," from Hustle! The Ultimate Fatback 1969-1984

4.Crass, "Bloody Revolutions" from Best Before 1984

5. Dead Kennedys. "Stealing People's Mail." from Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (and i only just got the joke in the album title now, after owning it for god knows how long.)

6. The Coup, "ShoYoAss." from Pick A Bigger Weapon. Best song on the album by far.

7. Bob Marley, "Downpressor" from The Complete Bob Marley & The Wailers 1967-1972 Part 2
Actually Peter Tosh singing on this dub version, not surprisingly, since it's his song.

8.Grant McLennan, "Lighting Fires" from Intermission Great song. Requiescat in pace.

9.Little Milton "More &More". From Chicago Soul: Electric Blues Funk & Soul

10. Milton Nascimento, "Saidas E Bandeiras," from Clube Moderno Esquina Do Mundo (Scroll Down)

11. The Beatles - "I'm Only Sleeping." from Revolver.

12. The Dramatics - "In The Rain." from Stax 50th Anniversary Celebration and like twelve billion other compilations.

13. Robert Zimmerman. "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall." From The Freewheelin Bob Dylan.

14. Exploding Hearts - "Boulevard Trash," from Guitar Romantic

15, Laura Lee. "Mama's Got a Good Thing." from Chicago Soul: Electric Blues Funk & Soul

16. The Moovers "I love you baby," from Eccentric Soul: The Deep City Label

17. The (International) Noise Conspiracy: "The Way I Feel About You" from Armed Love

18. Us, "Let's Do It Today" from Midwest Funk: Funk 45s from Tornado Alley

19. Fela Kuti, "Zombie" from Zombie

20. I-Roy, "Look a Boom" from Don't Check Me With No Lightweight Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment