Sunday, March 30, 2008

random ten for 3/30

The Cake - "Baby That's Me". Not to be confused with the 90's alternative rock band. This is late '60s female-fronted soul drenched in instrumentation, Phil Spector style. I found it on a blog somewhere.

The Coup - "Santa Rita Weekend."
look around theres hell of motherfuckas that i recognize
oh whats up man im back again
but its a temporary situation
taking weekend vacation
government incaceration
i call myself working on a pay hike
they calling me working on my third strike
sike i cant go forward
and motherfuckas cant ignore it
cos all my peoples on parole
in the pen gotta warrant
so its some shit i done leaped in
damn another santa rita weekend


Bad Religion - The Quickening. I have this album?

Skull Snaps - "Ain't That Loving You"

Os Mutantes - "Ave Lucifer."

El-P. "Accidents Don't Happen. Pretty sharp critique of post 9/11 NYC
now they check their bags with a staff claspin' Uzis
who deserves the wrath without warning
the same sky for the martyr with a spork scorch New York forfeits
run among the poppy fields order some more clips
store trips are weird but the fear is forceless
Bloomey bought the city of Lego and shitty metal hull
jitters to the floor boards burnt almost aborted
flight of the accidental tourist, morbid
the advertising gods so oddly courtship
godly corporate squads plot these tortures
holiness is hard and it's costing god fortunes
(guess he took a second job on the force to afford it)
I don't want a part of these self fulfilled prophecies
Deerhoof - "You Can See."

Lord Rhaburn - "More Love Reggae." From the Numero Group Belize City Boil Up compilation. Good stuff.

Sister Love - "Blackbird." 70's NYC funk/soul Beatles cover. Not bad, either.

God, Gays and Guns. - "Sally." This is Thomas Frampton's "disco-punk" song about how we need to stop organizing and just revolt already (a gross oversimplification, i admit.) I'm not sure who "Sally" is here, but I definitely had this argument with Thomas on numerous occasions in a variety of iterations. In other words, I'm so vain I probably think this song is about me. That said, it's pretty good, and chock full of handy situationist references and a catchy chorus which smacks of Ralph Chaplin in a good way. I like Thomas a lot.

4 comments:

  1. For the record - since my mother apparently has me on "Google Alerts" and since apparently Zach is intent on complicating any future hopes of employment I might have - this is, indeed, a gross oversimplification. I advocate neither "just revolt[ing] already" nor "stop[ping] organizing."

    Rather, the song explores the difficult dialetical relationship between constructing alternate loci of power and weilding said power. It fully rejects a facile reliance on direct action while seeking to articulate the sense of frustration and impatience inherent in the construction of any such alternative project.

    I like Zach a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough.

    Here are the lyrics, so folks can see what we're talking about.

    http://www.riotfolk.org/member_music_lyrics.php?id=7&song_id=772

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I was hoping T Framp would just leave a comment that said:

    "Yes, that song was about you."

    Would have been funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not as funny as if he said "actually, it was about Alek."

    ReplyDelete