Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I went to a job talk today in 19 University Place - home to the language and literature departments at NYU. The talk was by a former TA of mine who works on visuality, trauma, and black diasporic women's bodies, for a joint appointment in compl lit and the megadepartment which includes American Studies. It was a good job talk. Afterwards in the subway i saw a flotilla of cops investigating violently racist graffiti someone had markered onto pylons and a door on the Downtown N/R/W/Q track at Union Square. Swastikas, "N______ must die," etc. The social geography of New York after gentrification is deeply racialized. Racialization being the "extension of racial meaning to a previously uracially unclassified relationship, social practice, or group." That's Omi and Winant. I taught it this morning.

On the way back home tonight I thought about the politics of academics "making trouble" in the university, frustrated by David Graeber's explanation that he really thought it was best for so much time to avoid "making trouble" in New Haven, to avoid "getting sucked in" to Yale's union "troubles." Of course, to Graeber's credit, when he needed to, he came down on the right side, at the cost of his job. I greatly admire him for that. But the notion that one can be an activist in New York and a professor in New Haven (and never the twain shall meet) greatly irks me. It irks me because the university is everywhere - New York, Baca Ranch, Abu Dhabi. It irks me because while not anarchistically correct, those many-headed struggles in new haven are so important, so innovative, so hybrid, that I think it's foolish to even try to ignore them or dismiss them. Granted, Graeber was junior faculty, and as for Westheimer at NYU, vocally supporting any of the Yale unions and GESO in particular - and especially when senior faculty in your department are trying to boot a graduate student for being a union organizer - is an easy way to derail your academic career. That's professionalization for you, which is one of the reasons why I find that Moten/Harney piece so useful.

A professional education has become a critical education. But one should not applaud this fact. It should be taken for what it is, not progress in the professional schools, not cohabitation with the Universitas, but counterinsurgency, the refounding terrorism of law, coming for the discredited, coming for those who refuse to write off or write up the Undercommons.


David Graeber's a brilliant scholar. He's, from the accounts of all my friends who studied with him while he was at Yale (i never had the opportunity to do so) a fantastic teacher. I loved his "The New Anarchists" and I started reading through "Fragments of An Anarchist Anthropology" today and liked it very much too, though i think he's sometimes prone to oversimplifications and reifications about what "Marxism" is. My point is not to attack Graeber, whom, again, I admire, but rather to point out that even he is, or was, anyway -- one could argue he's rejected it now, a subject of this "counterinsurgency," a counterinsurgency against which we ought to be envisioning some alternatives.

Another University possible. Another New York is possible.

6 comments:

  1. I just thought about Winant and Omi for the first time in years while trying to identify the perfect single source to cite for a two sentence summary of racial formation for a grant proposal. Odd. What did your undergrads think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the talk about Omi and Winant involved me explaining the theory, the debt to Gramsci via Stuart Hall, the relationship between Racial Formation (p.68) and Racialization (p.64), and then us trying to use those concepts to look at the film Looking Like The Enemy, a documentary about Asian American soldiers in WWII, The Korean War, and Vietnam. Bad pedagogy, but some of them hadn't read it yet (it was due today) and i needed something else to fill up class time and help them remember a film we watched a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should probably confess that my citing O & W didn't involve actually digging out my copy (which is not on the shelves in my current apartment, and is probably buried in an unlabeled box of books somewhere in my parents' house, and which I think I read half of the summer before sophomore year of college).

    The documentary sounds interesting, at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read Omi and Winant untiul my first year of grad school. I was still avoiding going into Bobst because of the strike, so i readi it in the New School Library. I remember having a lot of issues with their larger historical narrative and certainly with their critique of the "internal colonialism" stuff (Blauner et al.) But that one chapter is really brilliant. And they wrote it when they were grad students. Which is crazy.

    The movie was powerful and raised a lot of questions the students were invested in discussing. That's always good. My students in general seem a lot more excited and engaged with the material this semester. I think that may be because they aren't shell shocked first semester first years anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't Graeber also have some issues with how GESO was organized? He supported unionization in principle but not necessarily GESO itself (http://www.counterpunch.org/frank05132005.html), which adds another element in explaining why he may not have been as active locally until the horrible situation when he stood up to defend the graduate student being railroaded out of the department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not accusing Graeber of not being active enough - he's clear evidence of what so many of yale's tenured faculty are willing to do to their junior colleagues in order to hold on to what they believe is the source of their power and prestige. What rubs me the wrong way is the way he talks about the separation between actvists projects and the insitutional spaces which supposedly enable them...

    ReplyDelete