Menahan Street Band, 2006. (Bunch of people from Brooklyn retro soul bands like Dap Kings, El Michels Affair, Budos Band.) "Make The Road By Walking." Named after the community organization? Or the Paolo Freire/ Myles Horton book? Who knows.
Jay Z. 2007. Produced by Sean Puffy Combs.
It's pretty interesting that Puffy's mining the Brooklyn retro-soul folks for beats. And they're both great tracks. El Michels Affair put put a faux-isntrumental version of Wu-Tang's "C.R.E.A.M." They've also backed Wu-Tang live.
Also, because i'm still in writing withdrawal after having finished my field exam on thursday, I give you part 2 of adventures in "serious" hair metal:
and finally, because this block is actually supposed to be about, like, labor, and casualization, voila.
The link for "Go To School, Learn To Rule" isn't working any more. Do you happen to have a PDF of it?
ReplyDeleteNo. I do have a paper copy, though.
ReplyDeleteWould you be willing to make a copy and mail it to me? I'll pay (or reciprocate in whatever way would be useful). My email address is rezorach [at] gmail.
ReplyDeleteI may be able to scan a copy later in the week.
ReplyDeleteThank you, but no need--I got one from the original source of that now-defunct link.
ReplyDeleteOr maybe it's named after the Machado poem (I think it's called "Caminante")? That's where I know the phrase from, might be the earliest usage.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure. If only one of us had a literary translator in their immediate family.
Update:
ReplyDelete"Proverbios y cantares XXIX" in Campos de Castilla.
Thank god someone reads this blog whose encyclopedic knowledge of cultural production is not limited to episodes of early '90s friday evening sitcoms.
ReplyDelete